Restored Georgian Antique Home in Newburyport, MA
This meticulously restored 2-1/2 storey Georgian home, C. 1730, is located in the highly desirable South End of Newburyport near The Tannery.
Originally 4 rooms with a center chimney and an asymmetrical facade featuring 9/6 windows.
Its rich history starts with the property being defined as being on the corner of Chandler’s and Elbow Lane prior to the revolution. Street names were then changed to be patriotic turning to Federal and Liberty.
The chef’s kitchen is complete with stainless appliances, exotic wood cabinetry, granite countertops that match the granite floor and more.
Kitchen Amenities Include:
African Bubinga Custom Cabinets
4 burner Thermador Gas Range w/Center Grill
Thermador Industrial Range Hood
Sub-Zero side by side Refrigerator/Freezer
Uline Wine Fridge
Uba Tuba Granite Counter & Floor
4 Large Remote Controlled Skylights
Slider to Outside Patio
Step from your state of the art kitchen back in time. The massive 8′ wide working fireplace with two bread ovens, brick hearth and raised panels are the main feature of the original kitchen, now the dining room. Pine floors, custom shutters and a candle chandelier complete the atmosphere.
Double front door with wrought iron hardware, a fully restored main winding staircase and wide pine floors.
Sun filled living room flanked by enormous custom restored 9/6 and 12/8 pane windows. Custom shutters, wide pine floors and a working fireplace with raised panel details.
Front staircase leads to the oversized Master bedroom. Large windows let the sun stream in. Wide pine floors, working fireplace and amazing wood details.
The second bedroom boasting early 18th Century period details, currently being used for an extra study/guest room. Offering a working fireplace that has been newly parged, wide pine floors and direct access to the full bathroom.
Beautiful full bath has Italian limestone double vanity with a mosaic marble floor heated by radiant heat. Statuary marble walls and tub enclosure with rain shower head and hand held. Two Shaker cabinets for generous storage. Access the bath from either the 2nd bedroom or the back hall which leads directly to the Master Bedroom.
In addition to these bonus rooms, additional storage space in closets and attic.
Click here to view all the pictures of this amazing property: 64 Liberty Street, Newburyport
During the 18th century Newburyport grew into a prosperous community fueled by maritime trade.
The principle architectural style of the 18th century was Georgian, named after the three kings who ruled England and her colonies from 1714 to 1820.
Balance and symmetry are the main features of Georgian architecture, reflected in the floor plans of homes of this period, and in the placement of windows and doors in the street façade.
Structures built during this period are typically two stories with a gambrel roof. The architectural style is further characterized by classical ornamental details such as a formal entrance doorway with flanking pilasters supporting a pediment.
The house at 64 Liberty Street is situated one block from the Merrimack River. Bartlet’s wharf originally stood at the bottom of Federal Street and was owned by William Bartlet (1746-1841), a wealthy merchant who lived in the large brick Federal style home directly across from 64 Liberty Street. Bartlet owned a shipping fleet that traded with the West Indies, the European continent and American ports along the east coast.
The proximity of this important maritime trading port influenced the successive uses and ownership of 64 Liberty Street. Previous owners of the house include a confectioner in 1804, a druggist in 1797, a distiller in 1784, and a shipwright in 1755 among others in the maritime trades. Potential buyers are encouraged to become a part of this historical lineage.
For additional information and photographs please contact Wellsco Realtors at 978-462-9733 .